Thursday 21 April 2011

There’s something about border crossings



As I was getting closer to Chiang Saen I was getting closer to the Mekong, the river that I will meet many times along my journey. When for the first time I saw its masses of water flowing in the direction I was headed, it filled me with excitement and peace.
With the first glance of the Mekong came the first time I saw the country that lies behind its eastern riverbank: Laos.

The grass is always greener on the other side right? In the case of Laos this was really true. Across the river I saw nothing but green hills.

Because there is no official border crossing in Chiang Sean I still had a day’s cycling ahead of me. To get a stamp in my passport I needed to get to Chiang Khong which lied about 55 km downstream. Since it’s downstream and the way leads mostly along the river I thought it’s going to be an easy ride. I was wrong. Not only the views that presented themselves in front of eyes were breathtaking, but also the rides up very steep hills. Many times I had to get off my bicycle and push it. And even that was challenging. Not for my legs but for my arms instead. Ironically that day also presented me with the first flat tire since I started this journey. After I cycled over broken glass so many times in the previous days and nothing happened, this happened now that I really have to exit the country…
A few hours later as planned I arrived at the Immigration office in Chiang Khong, where an official exit-stamped my passport and gave me a stern look goodbye. I wasn’t expecting a goodbye speech (something like it was nice to have you in our country please come back) but a smile would have been nice.

Because the Mekong forms the natural border between Thailand and Laos and there is yet a bridge to be built I had the pleasure of crossing the border on a boat!
“U taking that thing to Laos?” an American guy asked pointing at my bicycle. “Yeah? That is aaaaaawesome!” Yeah awesome…of course I’m not going to leave my lovely bike behind. What a horrible thought!
With bike and bags I jumped onto one of the long-tail boats that were floating on the river. Rapidly the houses of Thailand got smaller and smaller, and the shore of Laos came closer and closer. Goodbye Thailand, hellooooo Laos!


My first encounter with the Mekong

The golden triangle, where Thailand, Laos and Burma meet

Border crossing, from Chiang Khong in Thailand to Huay Xai in Laos

No comments:

Post a Comment